Sunday, December 11, 2011

Why did you join Rotary? And why have you stayed?

Thanks to all those who have responded to the Branding Survey - 285 thus far from New Zealand and Australia.  I admit, as many have highlighted, this survey is far from perfect in many respects.  The aim however has been to take the questions contributed by Segal and Gale ( the organisation being used by Rotary International for the Branding project) and to gather opinion and comment.  The results will nevertheless provide some interesting analysis.  From the results thus far for Question 18 you can see that the most important message to communicate to external audiences is that Rotary is 'contributing to the local community'.  
In relation to this I received the following comment which I will share with you:


"Funnily enough when I joined 38 years ago at the age of 28 I joined because my boss and his boss were keen members and at that stage I had no idea what Rotary did in the world.  So I guess my main reason for joining was NOT to make the world a better place (as I now tell everyone on my visits is the reason we join) but to enhance my career and “meet the right people in society” (in Wellington of course, Howard!)  and in 38 years that has changed almost 100%. Certainly my own objectives NOW are to make the world a better place because I can afford the time and money to do so.  But then I was early in a career and that networking etc was the prime incentive.  Quite interesting when I analyse.

"I suspect the few younger people that join us now do so for the reasons I did all those years ago.  And when they get on board and find that 2/3 of us are retired they lose interest.  That’s why we a need critical mass (at least 3) young people in each club that gets young people in to give them the sense that they can work together to improve the things they joined Rotary for."

Why did you join?  And has your motivation to remain a Rotarian changed?  Feel free to add your comments to this post...

If you have not taken the survey - please feel free to add your own views:
http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22E2HUGH5XH

No comments:

Post a Comment